I teach a series of workshops on WordPress at Frederick Community College. The workshops are hands-on where students work on WordPress sites provided for them to use during the class. Bring your own laptop or feel free to use one in the computer lab.
Call Frederick Community College to register, 301.846.2419.
WordPress Workshop Level I – The Basics (5.5 hour session)
This introductory hands-on course will focus on what WordPress is, what it can do, and how to use it for a blog, a website, or both. Students will work on WordPress site provided for them for use during the class. This class is perfect for staff responsible for a company WordPress website or blog. Prerequisite: Computer and web browser proficiency
- Understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- Learn how WordPress can be used as a blog or a website, or both
- Learn about the built-in features of WordPress and the different settings under the General, Writing, Reading, Users, Privacy tabs
- Create pages, blog posts, add images, video, and links
- Learn how to embed video and other media in your posts and pages
- Create custom menus and drop-down menus
- Add additional users and set user permissions
Saturday, March 11, 2017, 9:00-2:30 PM, Frederick Community College, Room H260.
WordPress Workshop Level II – Widgets, Plugins & Themes (7 hour session)
In this class students will learn to add more functionality to their WordPress website and blog by installing and configuring WordPress plugins. Students will also learn to change the look of the website by installing and configuring a new theme. This is a hands-on workshop where students will work on WordPress sites provided for them to use during class. Prerequisite: WordPress Level One or permission of the instructor
- Learn how to find, upload, and configure plugins for contact forms, calendars, images, social media links, slide shows, photo galleries, video and more
- Learn to create and use widgets to customize a website
- Learn to find and install WordPress themes to change the look of the website or blog
Saturday, March 18, 2017, 9:00-4:00 PM, Frederick Community College, Room H260.
WordPress Workshop Level III – SEO and Site Security
This class will cover more advanced plugins and features of WordPress such as search engine optimization, website backup, spam filters, and login in tracking and security plugins. This is a hands-on workshop where students will work on WordPress sites provided for them to use during class. Prerequisite: WordPress Level Two or permission of the instructor
- Learn the latest search engine optimization concepts and how to implement them on a WordPress website
- Install and configure plugins for Google Analytics, SEO tools, spam filters, login security, site back up, and more
- Learn to secure your WordPress site from hackers and spammers (called “hardening”)
- Learn to troubleshoot issues with WordPress and prevent common causes of site crashing
Saturday, April 25, 2017, 9:00-4:00 PM, Frederick Community College, Room H260.
If you are interested in training for yourself or your staff, please complete this form: Training Quote Request and I’ll get back to you pronto!